- •The painful left bundle branch block (LBBB) syndrome is a potentially underestimated and underreported disease with potentially debilitating symptoms.
- •In patients with anginal symptoms, LBBB, and absence of other causative diseases, painful LBBB should be considered.
- •His bundle pacing may ameliorate symptoms, increase exercise capacity, and improve homogeneity of cardiac deformation.
Appendix Supplementary Data
- Painful left bundle branch block syndrome: clinical and electrocardiographic features and further directions for evaluation and treatment.Heart Rhythm. 2016; 13: 226-232
- Clinical outcomes of His bundle pacing compared to right ventricular pacing.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 2319-2330
- Definitions for a common standard for 2D speckle tracking echocardiography: consensus document of the EACVI/ASE/Industry Task Force to standardize deformation imaging.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015; 16: 1-11
- Transient bundle branch block associated with tachycardia.Am Heart J. 1946; 31: 511-518
- Exercise dependent complete left bundle branch block.Eur Heart J. 1992; 13: 1447-1451
- Painful left bundle branch block [corrected] syndrome treated successfully with permanent His bundle pacing.HeartRhythm Case Rep. 2018; 4: 439-443
- Abnormal cardiac sensitivity in patients with chest pain and normal coronary arteries.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1990; 16: 1359-1366
- Rate-related left bundle branch block with chest pain and normal coronary arteriograms treated by exercise training.Am J Med Sci. 1986; 292: 317-319
- Treatment of painful left bundle branch block syndrome with cardiac resynchronization therapy or right-ventricular pacing.HeartRhythm Case Rep. 2019; 5: 321-324
- Pacing induced cardiomyopathy.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2020; 31: 286-292
- Electrical resynchronization induced by direct His-bundle pacing.Heart Rhythm. 2010; 7: 15-21
- Defining left bundle branch block patterns in cardiac resynchronisation therapy: a return to His bundle recordings.Arrhythm Electrophysiol Rev. 2020; 9: 28-33
- Intracardiac delineation of septal conduction in left bundle-branch block patterns.Circulation. 2019; 139: 1876-1888
- Painful left bundle branch block syndrome treated with his bundle pacing.J Electrocardiol. 2018; 51: 1019-1022
- Persistent exertional chest pain in a marathon runner: exercise-induced, painful, left bundle branch block syndrome treated with His-bundle pacing.Mayo Clin Proc Innov Qual Outcomes. 2019; 3: 226-230
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding Sources: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Disclosures: DH reports educational grants, speaker fees or fellowship support from Abbott , Medtronic , Biotronik , Boston Scientific , Biosense Webster , Novartis , Bayer , Pfizer , and Spectranetics ( Philips ). AB has received consultant and/or speaker fees from Abbott, Bayer Healthcare, Biosense Webster, Biotronik, Boston Scientific, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Cook Medical, Daiichi Sankyo, Medtronic, Pfizer, and Spectranetics/Philips. Dr Steffel has received consultant and/or speaker fees from Abbott, Alexion, Amgen, Astra-Zeneca, Bayer, Berlin-Chemie, Biosense Webster, Biotronik, Boehringer-Ingelheim, Boston Scientific, BMS, Daiichi Sankyo, Medscape, Medtronic, Merck/MSD, Organon, Pfizer, Saja, Servier, and WebMD, and reports ownership of CorXL. SR is a member of the Medtronic European Conduction System Pacing Advisory Board and has received speaker honoraria and proctor fees from Abbott, Biotronik, and Medtronic to his institution without personal financial benefits. All other authors have no conflicts to disclose relevant to this manuscript.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy