Atrial fibrillation in pediatric patients
Short QT syndrome and atrial fibrillation
- •Atrial fibrillation (AF) may occur in very young patients with short QT syndrome.
- •AF in these patients can be sustained with an excessively high rate of the fibrillatory process (25 ms).
- •In pediatric patients with arrhythmias undergoing cardiac surgery, epicardial mapping could be used as an additive diagnostic tool to guide therapy.
- Idiopathic short QT interval: a new clinical syndrome?.Cardiology. 2000; 94: 99-102
- Short QT interval prevalence and clinical outcomes in a pediatric population.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2015; 8: 1460-1464
- Electrocardiographic reference ranges derived from 79,743 ambulatory subjects.J Electrocardiol. 2007; 40: 228-234
- Clinical and electrocardiographic characteristics of patients with short QT interval in a large hospital-based population.Heart Rhythm. 2012; 9: 66-74
- Prevalence of long and short QT in a young population of 41,767 predominantly male Swiss conscripts.Heart Rhythm. 2009; 6: 652-657
- Prevalence and prognostic significance of short QT interval in a middle-aged Finnish population.Circulation. 2007; 116: 714-720
- Novel electrocardiographic criteria for short QT syndrome in children and adolescents.Europace. 2021; 23: 2029-2038
- Short QT syndrome in a pediatric patient.Pediatr Cardiol. 2009; 30: 846-850
- Short QT and atrial fibrillation: a KCNQ1 mutation-specific disease. Late follow-up in three unrelated children.HeartRhythm Case Rep. 2015; 1: 193-197
- First-in-children epicardial mapping of the heart: unravelling arrhythmogenesis in congenital heart disease.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2021; 32: 137-140
- De novo KCNQ1 mutation responsible for atrial fibrillation and short QT syndrome in utero.Cardiovasc Res. 2005; 68: 433-440
- Sinus bradycardia, junctional rhythm, and low-rate atrial fibrillation in short QT syndrome during 20 years of follow-up: three faces of the same genetic problem.Cardiol Young. 2016; 26: 589-592
- Lone atrial fibrillation in the pediatric population.Can J Cardiol. 2013; 29: 1227-1233
- First evidence of atrial conduction disorders in pediatric patients with congenital heart disease.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2020; 6: 1739-1743
- Human atrial arrhythmogenesis and sinus bradycardia in KCNQ1-linked short QT syndrome: insights from computational modelling.Front Physiol. 2018; 9: 1402
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding Sources: N.M.S. de Groot, MD, PhD, is supported by funding grants from CVON-AFFIP [grant number 914728], NWO-Vidi [grant number 91717339], Biosense Webster USA [ICD 783454], and Medical Delta. Disclosures: The authors have no conflict of interest.
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy